Fitness

The trouble with bottled water…

I accidentally over slept this morning.  Amidst the complete chaos of rushing out the door for work I did the unthinkable…..I left my water bottle at home.  As a fitness professional I understand the importance of proper hydration and my trusty nalgene bottle accompanies me everywhere I go.  I have it throughout each one of my client sessions (typically drinking more than they are); commuting on the train, and then it sits on my nightstand so I can savor its contents one last time before going to sleep.  On average I drink over a gallon of water a day.  So, as you can imagine, the thought of making it through a 12 hour workday without the precious clear liquid was unbearable.  I broke down and bought a bottle.  Yes, I actually spent money on a completely free natural resource.

 The practice of buying bottles of water boggles my mind, and yet millions of Americans do it every day.  Why?  Is it the convenience, taste or image?  It certainly isn’t financially savvy nor is it environmentally friendly.  Actually I can’t think of one benefit at all to buying bottled water which is why it irritated me so much to take part in the “water buying phenomenon” today.

The human body is composed of 60% water, and is as essential to life as oxygen.  Every cell in our body requires water to operate and it’s a constant battle to keep ourselves hydrated.  Your lungs expel roughly two cups of water a day just through normal breathing.  We all perspire about a cup a day (not including exercise), and urinate over 6 cups.  So how much water do we need a day to function at our full potential?  Recommended: 3 liters (13 cups) a day!  Minimum: 8 glasses. Paying for 8 bottles of water a day can add up to a very expensive habit, thus why I recommend everyone to make a onetime investment in a re-usable water bottle.  Continue to fill it up at the tap or water fountain throughout the day. Saves money and the landfill.

 Most people buy bottled water because they feel it tastes better, or that tap water is bad for you.  Neither of which is true. I hate to be the one to break this to you, but what are really paying for are a pretty bottle and a name….that’s it.   Did you know that when you buy bottles of Aquafina, you are actually paying for distilled water from the Detroit River?! Yep, it’s true.  A few years ago 20/20 did a story where they took five different brands of bottled water and tap water from New York City and sent them to a microbiologist in New Hampshire for testing.  They found there was no difference between New York City tap water and bottled water.  (www.abcnews.com)   If you are worried about ‘germs’ in your water or it not tasting as well, pick up a britta filter.  They even make water bottles with a filter built right into the top. Convenient, cost effective, and eco-friendly.

In addition to being a fitness fanatic, my husband and I are also extremely environmentally consciences; I mean we had an entire “Green Wedding” for god sakes.  Did you know in the United States alone over 30 million single serve water bottles end up in landfills every day?!  Only 10% of water bottles are recycled, the other 90% end up as garbage or liter.

I advocate drinking lots of water.  Just not water from individual bottles.  Recycle, Reduce (spending) and Re-use!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s