It is so good to be back on track with the living leaner lifestyle!
Today we are going to keep up this great momentum with a lovely, luxurious, and lean (on the wallet and waistline) version of pizza.
Every day on my way to work I pass by this adorable little outdoor market. I quickly scan the fresh produce as I race past, and occasionally return in the afternoon to bring something home for dinner. Friday morning I noticed these beautiful green and brown California figs. I love figs. They are hands down one of my favorite foods. In fact, I challenge you to find a food more perfect meal than figs wrapped in bacon tapas. I am quite certain there is no better treat for the taste buds! YUM!! Anyway, Friday was such a crazy day I didn’t have time to return to the market to pick up the little fruits on my way home. For the next three days I could not get those figs off my mind!
I even returned to the market area to see if by chance the guy was out over the weekend (he wasn’t) on Monday (he wasn’t) and I almost broke down buying some figs at whole foods (at a much more exorbitant price). Finally, on my lunch break today my dreams came true, and I got one package each of green and brown California figs. *sigh*
Pan Fry 6 slices of Bacon
- (I used leftover turkey bacon from breakfast this weekend)
Create Caramelized Onions
- Slice one medium yellow onion
- Sautee in remaining bacon grease for about 15mins (until caramel color), add 2 tbs of sugar
- *if using leftover bacon like myself replace bacon grease with 2 tbps of butter
Prepare Pizza Dough
- *I used my bread machine, but it can also be mixed by hand
- Mix almost 1 cup of water (~5/8)
- 2 cups unbleached bread flour
- 1 tsp salt ½ tsp sugar 1 tsp dried active yeast
- *Set to pizza dough setting on breadmaker or mix in kitchen aid 10mins and then allow to rise 1 hour
Figs, caramelized onions, bacon and bits of arugula (for color and spice)
Prepare Pizza for oven
- Roll out dough onto a pizza stone or ungreased baking sheet
- Brush a thin layer of olive oil over dough and sprinkle with garlic powder
- Spread a layer of goats cheese over oiled dough
- Arrange figs, bacon, onions, and arugula Season to taste. I used a dash of pepper, salt and oregano
At 425 F for 15-20 mins
And there you have it! I encourage you to try this recipe. Even if you don’t like figs…you could leave the figs off and the carmalized onions, bacon and goat cheese would still be fantastic!
My husband almost always loves my cooking (except when I make him eat salads), but this pizza he raved out. Saying it was one of the best things I’ve ever cooked. Try it, you won’t be disappointed!!